Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tortellini Soup



I was really craving some soup today. It's been cold and raining, perfect weather for a nice warm bowl of soup. I thought about making one of my favorites - Chicken Tortilla Soup. I'll share that recipe with you someday soon. It's fantastic and super easy.

Anyway, about 5 years ago when I first started teaching, a co-worker brought in a delicious tortellini soup for a potluck lunch. He gave me the recipe and I made it a few times. I've since misplaced the recipe and fell out of contact with the owner.

I got to thinking at work today that what I really wanted wasn't my Ol' Faithful Tortilla Soup but some awesome tortellini soup instead. Even though I didn't have the recipe, I think I did a pretty darn good job of replicating it.

Here you go, enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic - put through garlic press or finely chop
1 small white onion - diced
1 lb. Italian sausage - mild or spicey
2 -3 tbsp Italian seasoning or 1 tbsp each of dried basil, oregano, thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional - I enjoy the spice)
2 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes - oregano, basil and garlic (Italian flavored)
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 zucchini and 1 yellow squash - thinly sliced
6 - 8 cups chicken stock (I use chicken base and add it to hot water)
1 19 oz bag of frozen 3 cheese tortellini or you can use fresh tortellini. This is about 3 cups. salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat oil in bottom of large stock pot. Saute garlic and onion for 3 - 5 minutes.
Add Italian sausage and cook until browned, break into smaller pieces with the back of a spoon. Drain excess fat.
Add Italian seasonings and red pepper flakes.
Add tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, zucchini and yellow squash.
Add chicken stock - I use about 8 cups because I like a lot of broth, could be reduced to 6.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are fully cooked - about 25 to 30 minutes.
Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve with grated parmesan cheese and fresh french bread!

Variations - try using ravioli or macaroni noodles, add kidney beans or thinly sliced red potatoes

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, sound great, perfect cause I am going grocery shopping tomorrow, thanks for the idea!

    Laci
    http://zigzagsthisandthats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails